Friday, November 02, 2007

Telephone Lines

Talking to people on the phone all day for a living can actually be a lot more fun than it sounds.
I'm not in customer service so if someone's being a real ass, I have the right to return the favor. But the people I talk to are generally pretty pleasant. I get to know people all over the world and it's funny how quickly a relationship can be established over the phone. Especially with someone you've never spoken to before and will probably never speak to again.

I just got off the phone with a very sweet man in Huntington Beach, CA. Even though he's quite a bit farther along the race of life than I am, we had a lot in common. Both love the beautiful mountains but prefer the ocean, neither of us are particularly fond of the cold, and his daughter lives in Sandy. He was a genuinely nice guy and I had him laughing 3 minutes into the conversation. When it came time to say goodbye, I found that I really didn't want to get off the phone. But there were other clients to call, and this post to write, so I told him to have a good evening and drive safe the rest of his way home. In response, he told me to take care, have fun in the snow this winter, and told me that he really enjoyed speaking with me. That I have a great phone voice.



Funny that my old co-workers used to tell me that I'd make a great phone sex operator. Apparently I make a good phone friend too :)

No comments: